Cameron Celebrates an Irish Saint
Surely St. Patrick wouldn’t mind that his annual parade in Cameron took place a day early, March 16. Having it on a different day did little to dampen the enthusiasm of the crowd and parade participants. The weather smiled upon us with blue skies and puffy clouds. Everyone had an Irish sparkle in their eyes!
Green was the color of the day, and it appeared in a variety of shades, which is appropriate since Ireland claims 40 shades of green in its countryside.
The parade, as always, begins at McCorkle Park, travels east to Walnut Street, then returns west on 3rd street, ending at McCorkle Park.
The parade ended with a ceremony at Cameron’s “Blarney Stone” on the west side of McCorkle Park. Indeed, the stone did come from the Emerald Isle. The ceremony included an Invocation by Father Tom Ludwig of St. Munchin’s Church. The bag pipers played a stirring rendition of “Amazing Grace”, after which the co-Grand Marshals Steve and Clydean Erickson were introduced.
Both were very gracious in their remarks to the crowd. Steve’s talk included the reading of an Irish blessing, and there was emotion in his voice. Both of the Erickson’s contribute much to the Cameron community and are very worthy of being recognized for their dedication to Cameron and to their family.
Parade entries were judged by a panel of volunteers in two categories: business and non-business. Prizes awarded are in “Chamber Bucks”, provided by the Cameron Chamber of Commerce.
This year’s winners are:
1st place—Cameron Nursing and Rehabilitation (business) and the “O’Connor family (non-business)
2nd place—Meri’s Dance Studio (business) and to the Bag Pipers (non-business)
3rd place—Julie Ausmus (business) and the CHS Marching Band (non-business)
The annual St. Patrick’s Day parade is sponsored by the Knights of Columbus, Council 1110.